Justin left on Feb. 20th, 2012 for an interview with the Eastern Virginia Medical School, for the position of Media Manager II. This had been his third interview since trying to look for a new job since he was told in June 2011, that he would be laid off at the end of the year. This interview was even more critical than the first two interviews he had earlier, because this time he was actually unemployed. We also talked about getting married and moving to Virginia, but we knew that those plans would be on hold until Justin got a job. When I kissed Justin goodbye at the the airport on the 20th, I couldn't help but feel so anxious and nervous for him. If he got the job, it would mean so much for him...and for us.
Justin's interview on the 22nd went so well. He told me that he spent a long time preparing his answers for certain questions, and they just so happened to ask every question he prepared for. God is so good! He also told me that they would probably tell him whether or not he got the job in a week...which would be Wed., Feb. 29th.
Almost every night Justin was gone, we talked on Skype, or at least on the phone. On Tuesday, Feb. 28th, Justin told me that he couldn't talk that night because his router broke and his parents were taking him to a play, so we just couldn't talk that night. I was so disappointed because I really wanted to talk to him. I missed him so much after not seeing him for almost a week and half (to some that is nothing, but I am just a wimp...haha). He said he would make it up to me the next day.
The next day, Wed., Feb. 29th, I woke up with the hope that Justin would hear if he got the job at EVMS. I texted him all day asking if he heard anything about the job...he said "no." However, he told me that he wanted to call me at 6:30pm. Normally that would have been fine, but I told him that I would be out with my friend Melissa (Justin's best friend's wife), and I didn't think it would be polite if I carried on a conversation with him while out with my friend. But Justin insisted that he speak to me just to "hear the sound of my voice." I didn't quite understand why he couldn't just wait till later to chat, but I gave in and told Melissa that at 6:30pm, Justin was going to call me, so I wouldn't be the best company at that time.
Melissa and I went out to Glendale because I thought we were going to go see our friend's, Sarah and Brian Heck's new baby boy. Melissa told me that she hadn't heard back from Sarah about whether or not we could actually visit, so she said we should hang out at the Glendale Americana instead.
Just as some background info., the Glendale Americana is an outdoor mall that is very pretty at night due to the lights and Frank Sinatra music playing in the background. There is a huge fountain in the center, where the water dances to the music. Justin and I have had many fun dates at the Glendale Americana, and on one special date, Justin and I spent over an hour just sitting and talking by the fountain. It was a very bonding and emotional time, so the fountain is very close to my heart.
Back to the story...When Melissa and I arrived at the Glendale Americana, she told me to go sit and wait for her by the fountain while she put in a reservation for dinner at the Cheesecake Factory, which is right next to the fountain. While I was sitting at the fountain, I noticed it was close to 6:30, so I expected Justin to call. I looked at my phone, and Justin sent me a text instead. His text told me to check my email because he sent me a message. So, I checked my email on my phone (thank God for smartphones...haha)
The very first line of Justin's email, said, "I got the job at EVMS..." I could have cried right there. But then the email went on and Justin told me in the email to sit there, relax, and read the entire email. The rest of the email discussed all the reasons why he loves me and he even quoted passages from letters I had written to him over the last year. It was so beautiful. It became very emotional.
When I was done reading the email, I immediately tried to call Justin...but when I looked up, I could see Justin walking towards me. I left my phone and purse sitting on the fountain's edge, and I ran straight to Justin and gave him a huge hug and kiss! I was so happy to see him. He walked me over back to the fountain, got down on one knee, and asked me to marry him. I was so excited that I don't even remember if I said "yes!"...haha. Apparently I did! ;) I do remember falling to my knees with him though because I just couldn't believe all the exciting news all at one....Justin got the job, I got to see Justin after he was gone in Virginia, and best of all, he asked me to marry him!
Apparently, Justin found out he got the job the day before...the reason why Justin couldn't call me the night before was because he was on his way back to California on a plane. He called his best friend, Dave (Melissa's husband) and asked him to pick him up at the airport. Melissa was also asked to be a part of the "grand scheme" by taking me out that night.
After Justin proposed, Dave and Melissa ran out to congratulate us. Then we all went to celebrate at the Cheesecake Factory. It was a wonderful, wonderful, wonderful night!
I am so excited that God has blessed me with such a wonderful man who loves God and is my best friend. We have both faced unfortunate pasts that we wish we could change...but God works through unfortunate and sad times to create new beginnings that will ultimately glorify Him. Our story is an example of that!
I'm so super happy for you both! And I hope you were able to have a good dinner at the Cheese Cake Factory w/o tummy troubles :)
ReplyDelete